Shrimp Stuffed EggplantServes 4
- 1 eggplant;
- 12 oz. peeled raw shrimp;
- 1 red bell pepper, diced;
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced;
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced;
- ½ cup green onions, chopped;
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped; (save some leaves for presentation)
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste;
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce;
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten;
- 3 tbsp. olive oil;
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Take the eggplant and cut it into 2 pieces lengthwise. Make a series of parallel cuts, taking care not to cut through the skin. Brush the eggplant (cut sides) with 1/2tbsp. of olive oil on each side.
- Place the eggplants cut side down on a roasting pan and brush the skin with ½ tbsp. olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over after the initial 15 minutes and cook again 15 to 20 minutes or until the flesh is tender. Remove from oven and reduce the heat to 350 F.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over a medium heat. Add the ginger, the garlic, and the red pepper, and cook for two minutes. Add the green onions and the cilantro and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Once the eggplant is cool enough, scoop out the pulp leaving the skin intact and chop the eggplant pulp.
- In the bowl containing the red bell pepper mixture; add the chopped eggplant, the shrimp, the beaten egg, the fish sauce and the 2 tbsp. curry paste and stir.
- Insert the mixture evenly in the eggplant and place back in the oven for about 30 min until the stuffing is firm.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.