- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in cubes;
- 4 slices bacon;
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 1/2 tbsp homemade or Dijon mustard;
- 2 tbsp lemon juice;
- 4 loosely packed cups baby spinach;
- 2 tbsp lard or other cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- In the mean time, cook the bacon slices over a medium heat in a large pan until crisp, about.4 minutes per side. Set aside
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan as well as the additional cooking fat and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Season liberally with black pepper.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice and mustard.
- Drain the cooked sweet potato cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the baby spinach with the sweet potatoes and combine well and pour the cooked onions with all the drippings on top.
- Crumble the cooked bacon over, combine and serve.